The course provides for a comprehensive overview of the legal considerations one has to make when dealing with the drafting and negotiation process of international contracts. The differences between the major legal systems are outlined and comparisons are made on a country-by-country level. Furthermore, the course both provides for a better understanding of the overall structure of an International Contract and gives the participants an overview of the main clauses used. Finally, the course makes the participants more familiar with terminology used in International Contracts.
The course is set-up in a very practical way; participants will be preparing and discussing assignments together. Attending this course will enable you to take a more active role in the international contract negotiation and drafting process. You will become more familiar with the legal differences between various jurisdictions and will become better aware of the considerable impact that these differences may have on any given International Contract. In addition, you will get a better understanding of the contract structure and the clauses used in International Contacts. Finally, you will find yourself more familiar with the English terminology used in International Contracts.
The course covers the following areas:
- Selection of some fundamental basic legal concepts, applicable law, relevant international organizations etc.
- The pre-contractual phase – including letters of Intent and non-disclosure agreements
- Formation, recitals and the battle of forms
- Analysis of the contract structure and the most important contract clauses:
- Interpretation clauses
- Limitation of liability and liquidated damages
- Conformity of goods and services
- Penalty clauses
- Confidentiality clauses
- Assignment clauses
- Force Majeure & hardship clauses
- Termination clauses
- Choice of law and jurisdiction & international dispute resolution
Who should attend the course?
The course is especially aimed at lawyers and legal professionals that are exposed to and/or directly working with international contracts.
Nánari upplýsingar og skráning